This second semester book for approximately fourth grade level writers starts where 4 I left off. Students who do not need parts of speech review can begin right in with this Directed Writing Approach book.
True to all of our second, third, and fourth grade books (and all first semester books for 5 through 9), it has the HOW TO’s in the first section. In this case, it has:
(1) How to Write From Sources Using Our Signature Writing Boxes (super effective writing approach that Cathy Duffy loved that is in all of our elementary MC, Write On, and Write-for-a-Month books);
(2) How to Write From Sources Using Our Sentence-by-Sentence Outlining Approach;
(3) How to Complete Our Signature Checklist Challenge. These are step-by-step lessons on our approaches that fall in the first few weeks of each MC first semester books (2 I through 9 I). (Of course, they all teach these lessons with different level-appropriate materials!)
And then…..the absolute darling-ness-factor of this book……
1) Starts out with an Alice in Wonderland writing boxes lesson
2) Has amazing people for them to write about—-Clara Barton, George Washington Carver, and more
3) Contains a Peter Pan story-writing-from-given-source lesson (darlingx5!)
4) Teaches how to write opening and closing paragraphs using sets of animals that display various qualities
5) Uses “zoo information cards” to outline original animal paragraphs
6) Teaches a book report using a meaningful story that they choose about people who were reconciled to each other (okay..little conflict resolution lesson in there!)
7) Has a perfect balance of given sources and original writing for this tender writing age
8) One of the original projects is interviewing pet owners and writing two paragraphs—what fourth grader doesn’t love pets???
I’m crazy about this book, and I know you and your young writer will be also! But just to be sure you know what you are getting yourself into, go ahead and print off three weeks of the sixteen weeks to try with your kiddos! It’s free….because we want you to love what you are buying before you buy it! Get that sample HERE!
Be sure to read our Meaningful Composition General Guide & Overview of each book.
See all Meaningful Composition titles :here: